Surface Ship Navigation Systems Engineer
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
ACTIVE SECRET CLEARANCE IS REQUIRED
Performs requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification), validation and interface definition studies of subsystem or system elements under supervision of the lead systems engineer
Performs technical planning, cost and risk analyses, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for subsystems and system elements
Performs customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (elements and components)
Performs detailed technical analyses for a subsystem or system elements
Develops and evaluates systems, networks and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable governmental specifications
Participates in Modeling and Simulation
Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
Supports the generation of technical engineering products by using the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle
May provide leadership and/or direction to lower level employees
Independently determines proposed approach to solutions
Contributes to the completion of major programs and projects
Plans and executes project tasks for activities described above
Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills.
Defines processes for technical platforms, system specifications, input/output and working parameters for hardware and/or software compatibility.
Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
Designs a complete and complex framework, system or product.
Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses.
Regular contact with senior levels of internal work groups
Works under limited direction
Contact with Deputy Program Managers Engineering (DPME) and other professionals within the Engineering department and with project teams across the company
Frequent contact with external customers
Travel may be required (Approximately 25%)
Security clearance may be required
Provides resolution to a diverse range of complex problems
Independently determines approach to solutions
Keeps abreast of technology trends
Contributes to the achievement of business objectives
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Fully proficient use and understanding of systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories
Fully proficient knowledge of other related disciplines
Fully proficient with requirements management & system modeling tools
Recognizes various architectural patterns
Fully proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Fully proficient written and verbal communications skills
Ability to sell concepts and ideas
Ability to multi-task
Fully proficient ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and effectively handle complex assignments
Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
Fully proficient ability in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
Fully proficient ability to clearly report relevant to sound systems engineering design
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer SystemsEngineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or a related technical field.
- 10+ years of experience in a related engineering field is preferred.
- Prior Department of Defense experience
- Prior surface ship experience
- Experience with Navigation Systems
- Experience with Inertial Navigation, Gyrocompasses, GPS, Echo sounders, etc.
- Experience with Certification Requirements (NAVCERT, ECDIS)
- Experience with Internal and External Change Processes
- Experience with Cable Block Diagrams, Wire Connection Lists, and other Drawing Types
- Experience with Requirements Development and Management
- Experience with Problem Report tracking
- Experience with IBM Rational tools such as DOORS and Change
- Very strong technical writing skills
- Very strong presentation skills
- Very strong problem solving skills
- Very strong testing and troubleshooting skills
- High level familiarity with software development lifecycle and experience interfacing with software developers
- High level familiarity with other shipboard systems such as Seaframe Control, Aviation, Infrastructure, etc.